1. Your Morning Routine will set the tone for your mental wellness for the day. Two small rituals each morning is a powerful start. For example. I have a cappuccino and journal for 15-20 minutes every morning before I start my day or answer an email. I also workout for 30 minutes before I get ready for the day to get my mind right. If you "don't have the time," wake up earlier, create the time so that you can be more efficient throughout the day. It doesn't matter what your rituals are, as long as they bring you peace and happiness. Self care is all about taking care of your mental health and overall well being.
2. Mindset is Key. Are you a half glass empty, or half glass full kind of person? Mindset is essential because it sets the theme song for your life, every, single day. I find that gratitude is the best mindset to achieve ultimate happiness and self care. Gratitude is the act of being grateful for every experience in your life, good or bad. It puts you in a strong mental space so that whatever comes your way, you will experience gratitude instead of negativity. Your mind ultimately determines the direction of your mental health.
3. Manifestation is an event, action, or object that clearly shows or embodies something, especially a theory or an abstract idea. I will never forget the woman who taught me the power of manifestation. She looked like she stepped out of a vogue magazine, but more powerful than her clothes was her persona and confidence. She was the president of a major beauty company and I got the opportunity to speak with her. I asked her what I had to do to be successful. (As if I knew what that was at the time). She looked at me and said, "Jenna, this might sound absolutely crazy, but everything that I have wanted in life, I have believed it to be true. I wanted to be a millionaire and that eventually came true. Whatever you believe about yourself is true. If you manifest greatness, you will be great." From that moment on, I tried it. Months later, I wrote her an email to let her know that my husband and I bought our dream home. Manifestation is powerful in any direction. I have learned that being successful starts with your mind and continues with hard work, dedication and persistence. Manifestation is so closely tied to self care because it is putting your mindset into action. If you want to take care of your mental health, you will.
4. Write It Down. Writing it down is how I started my self care journey and it is a great, easy practice to adapt. Write down all the things that make you happy. Start with small things that you can apply on a daily basis such as 30 minutes of uninterrupted time, a bubble bath with a book and then move into the larger things, such as a vacation with loved ones, a large project, or a specific skill set that you would like to learn. These things can be applied on a monthly, quarterly or yearly basis. The purpose of writing it out is important. If you write it out, you are 90% more likely to do it and honestly it feels good to plan out self care. I started out with a small journal and now it flows into my daily routine naturally.
5. Move Your Body. I am not here to tell you to take crossfit or pretentious yoga class, but I am here to discuss the importance of moving your body. Moving your body can mean a hike on a mountain, a daily walk with your best friend, yoga in your living room, cycling to your favorite song or even regular sex with your partner. Moving your body increases your serotonin levels which improves your mood and overall well-being.
Self care starts and ends with your ability to make it a priority.